How To Feel Good When You're Having A Bad Day6:35 AM
You still have a choice;
wallow in misery or turn it around.
How do you make yourself feel good when you're having a bad day?
You can't have it all every day. As long as you're human, things won't always go the way you want them to. But that doesn't mean you're not going to be okay.
How To Feel Good When You're Having A Bad Day
1. Take a step back or walk away for a while.It gets easier to decide and see things properly when you take a step back and look at things from a third person's perspective. When you're having a bad day, try to detach yourself from the situation. It will help you think clearly and see the bigger picture.
2. Do something you enjoy or love.Go out. Take a walk. Read a good book. Watch a feel-good film. Eat your favorite food. Browse through cute photos of dogs or adorable babies. When you're having a bad day, do something that can take your mind off what's bothering you. Even for just a few hours.
3. Talk to your support team.You must have people in your life whom you can always count on when things go wrong. People who always lift your spirit up. A person or persons who will remind you of your greatness. When you're having a bad day, you need a solid team behind you to make you feel good.
Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow - Swedish Proverb
4. Dance!You may not love dancing but when you dance with abandon, happy hormones start pumping out and you feel better afterwards. Some people do yoga or work out. But I think dancing is so much more enjoyable.
When you're having a bad day, turn up the volume of your jam and dance like no one is watching. Or follow Taylor Swift's advice: shake it off.
5. Write down your feelings.This one does magic. Writing down how you feel lightens the burden you carry as you unload it through the power of pen and paper. Or in our digital world, when you type it away. Try it to see for yourself.
Shameless promotion: Write for my other blog Dear You. I offer this space for your unsent letters.
6. Remember the good times.Laugh.
It's not always that bad. Remember when....? Remind yourself of the good times. When was the last time you laughed so hard your tummy hurt?
If you're a Harry Potter fan, you're familiar with how the wizards drive away Dementors; they think of one moment when they felt truly, genuinely happy. And from that memory, they conjure a Patronus. That's where they get the strength to fight off that evil creature that tries to suck out their happiness and fill them with dread and misery.
Not familiar with the Patronus charm? How about Peter Pan? Remember how they fly? A little pixie dust plus happy thoughts.
7. Accept it.No matter how optimistic you try to be, things will sometimes go bad. The sooner you accept this fact, the easier it will be to go through the tough times. Life isn't perfect so stop sweating the small stuff.
8. Pray/Worship/Meditate.It's hard to give thanks or pray or worship when things aren't the way we want them to. It's hard to focus and find your center. But "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
Your heart changes when you pray. You humble yourself. You free yourself from those impossible to handle and allow the Miracle Worker to work in your life.
You focus on what is really essential in life. And when you do, you realize that whatever it is that's making your day bad is but a teeny tiny speck in the universe that it's almost irrelevant.
9. Hug your pet.That is of course if your pet is huggable or not uhm, wild.
Studies show dogs are therapeutic. Why not try getting yourself a furry friend? Their loyalty is beyond compare too.
10. Remember that it's not permanent.Seasons change. Today may be a really terrible, horrible, no good very bad day like Alexander's but it's only temporary. Experiencing loss, rejection, betrayal or failure is all part of the package. It sucks I know but we wouldn't know our strength and our potential when everything is always okay. We'll never know what a good day is if bad days don't happen.
When you're having a bad day, remember that it's just what it is---a bad day. It's not a bad life. At least it's not unless you make it.
You still have a choice; wallow in misery or turn it around.
You can always choose to feel good even when you're having a bad day.
Trust me. I've been having a really bad day today but I still managed to write this. ;)
How do you handle a bad day? Do share in the comments!
Gifs from Google images
Hey, did you find this post helpful or entertaining? Please go ahead and share.
Share buttons on the left and at the bottom of the article. Big thanks!
Subscribe to About Life And Love by Email